RAP: It's like having it all!
The Registered Apprenticeship Program (RAP) is a way for registered high school students to become apprentices, and earn credits toward an apprenticeship program and a high school diploma at the same time.
What's an apprentice?
An apprentice is someone learning a trade while he or she is employed in that trade. Usually apprenticeship is post-secondary training. But the Registered Apprenticeship Program (RAP) is a special program that allows students to get started on an apprenticeship during high school.
Apprenticeship is a combination of on-the-job training, work experience and technical training in a trade. Apprentices spend about 80% of their time learning on-the-job from a qualified tradesperson. The remaining 20% of their time is spent at a college or technical institute learning the theory, technologies and skills behind their trade. This is called the technical training component of the program. The entire apprenticeship program lasts 1 to 4 years, depending on the trade. From the start, apprentices earn a paycheque for their time on the job. As a RAP apprentice you would earn at least minimum wage. Usually the pay increases as the training progresses. Once your apprenticeship is complete, you will receive an 'Alberta Journeyman Certificate' that proves you meet Alberta's high industry standards.
Click here to download the 10 STEPS to Becoming a RAP Student! handout.
For more information please contact Student Services at 780-392-3535